Friday, September 29, 2006

We're Not in Kansas Anymore . . .

Something about these great heaps of cloud-shrouded granite - here, Pikes Peak, that soothes - that affords a sense of perspective. Sunlight and clouds cross the face of the Front Range during the day. At night a Cheshire Cat moon smiles over the muscular silhouette that cradles the glittering city below. Stars glitter above. Constellations rarely glimpsed from my backyard in Ohio, sparkle through the thin, dry air at 6,500 feet. I love the Midwest, the nose-friendly moisture, the oxygen-rich air. Still, when we return home, I'll miss my kid sister's family and this dramatic three-dimensional world. I remind myself how lucky we are to live in an age where one can travel as we do and have the luxury of falling in love with new and exotic places on this remarkable planet. And lucky, indeed, to have beloved family and friends waiting at both ends of the journey.

1 comment:

Anvilcloud said...

I've only been to The Rockies once, but I was totally awe-struck by them.