Friday, December 15, 2006

Daffodil Bones

Ruh-roh. I'm praying for snow. If my husband comes home and sees what those rascally squirrels have done to his daffodil bulbs . . . . Oh, this could get ugly. He spent a good half day last week during a relatively mild afternoon getting these things planted - late, yes - but they were in the ground and he came in puffing and tracking dirt through the house and grinning as he folded me under his arm to come stand beside him and just imagine the beauty we could anticipate come April. Ruh-roh.

Addendum: Dec. 17 - My husband discovered the languishing bulbs. He came through the door muttering about a shotgun. He's mourning the loss of his dream of April blooms :0(

_______________________________________________

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I imagine he will be a bit irritated. I will pray you get snow so the squirrels may live.

Bonita said...

Oh! How disappointing....Seems like the squirrels do that to the tulip bulbs too. I encase all of mine - crocus too - under mesh wire, then layer dirt over the works. It is the only way to keep them in place.

LauraHinNJ said...

Maybe you can find some on sale now and replace them before he notices?

;-)

Cathy said...

That's a lot of work Bonita - one really has to love these flowers to do all that.

I suppose I could Laura, but unless I do as Bonita suggests above - it'll be for naught.

Cathy said...

dmmgmfm - he wouldn't hurt a flea - the main damage would be to his blood pressure as he curses through gritted teeth:0)

Anonymous said...

Bless his heart; he must be a wonderful man. I am glad the squirrels are in no grave danger.

Anvilcloud said...

I thought they were supposed to leave daffodil bulbs along?

Cathy said...

Yes, AC - I'd heard that too. So I'm wondering if rather than eating these they were just digging them up since the bed my husband used was new and soft and perhaps the squirrels tossed them about while making peanut deposits.