Sunday, July 01, 2007

Critters Without Backbones



Get on over to Bev's Burning Silo Blog. Today she hosted The Circus of The Spineless. It's ' a monthly celebration of Insects, Arachnids, Molluscs, Crustaceans, Worms and most anything else that wiggles.' In this spirit I've posted a photo I took back home in Ohio. I think these are Great Spangled Fritillary visiting some sort of thistle.How can you help but feel wonder at the form and function of these lovely butterflies?

I've spent many pleasant moments enjoying Burning Silo's photo galleries and the interesting facts about the creatures that Bev studies. Spiders are one of her favorite. As I've surmounted my perhaps instinctive fear of spiders, I've begun to marvel at their variety of shapes, colors and behavior that I've discovered through Bev's explorations. Check out her fungus gallery, also. Bev turns her lenses toward the mysteries of the plant kingdom, too. (Fungi aren't plants :0)

Even if you don't like invertebrates you'll find Bev's blog compelling. I have. With her wonderful photos and engaging narratives, she's actually turned this insect phobic into an admirer of our fellow insect travelers. She also features other marvelous creatures and the interesting stories surrounding their existence.

If you favor vertebrates of the canine variety scroll around till you find pictures of sweet Sabrina, Bev's beautiful collie. You'll find all sorts of wonderment as you peruse. P.S. That thistle head was as large as a small fist. Anybody know thistles? Addendum:
I think I found the thistle. Maybe. Two of my fellow-bloggers are suggesting Bull Thistle. I also found this plant that looks right. Musk Thistle and of course it's considered invasive and a nuisance. In this link they mention 18 chemicals approved for eradicating it. Sheesh.

15 comments:

Larry said...

That is a beautiful capture of a butterfly that saw last week-I think?-I've read Burning Silo-It's a really good blog.-

Mary said...

I'm not keen on spiders but I'll look at Burning Silo. With our recommendation, it has to be great! Maybe she will help me rid of my fear...

Awesome photo, Cathy!

Anvilcloud said...

That's a fabulous pic, but I really have to say no to adding one other blog right now. Maybe tomorrow. lol

Anonymous said...

So many wonderful blogs out their! Thanks for the heads up with this one! Love your fritillary shot!

KGMom said...

Such a lovely photo--interesting juxtaposition of colors.

dmmgmfm said...

Like everyone else, I love the photo. The colors are wonderful! I'll check out Burning Silo soon, Cathy. I know you wouldn't steer me wrong.

Pam said...

Stunning photo!!!

I have a facination for all living things and will check out Burning Silo. Thanks.

Bonita said...

The benefit of blogs like yours and Burning Silo is that they cause us to slow down, and appreciate the little things. I enjoy doing that. On our last camping trip I watched the ants haul the crumbs I placed near their nest's entrance. They worked together with such industry and thrift. You bet, we can learn a lot watching this type of thing.

Anonymous said...

Heart-stoppingly beautiful. What an eye.

And he said to the rose, "Stop shouting"

Anonymous said...

Love it, Cathy. It is such a graceful shot. Did you get it by the sea??

Cathy said...

These butterflies where denizens of yes - Toledo, Ohio! See? There is beauty everywhere ;0)

nina at Nature Remains. said...

Bull thistle? (I've heard of them, they sound pretty big?)
And thanks for the tip to another blog--I'm still finding my way and enjoy the detours--there's so much out there.
Enjoy your vacation--tho Ohio IS pretty!

burning silo said...

Thanks for posting links to my blog and the Circus of the Spineless carnival, Cathy! I'm so pleased to read that you're overcoming your fear of spiders. With the exception of a couple, the remainder are so harmless but endlessly fascinating. I'm with Nina on the thistle. Looks to me like a Bull Thistle. We have them here at the farm. The Monarchs and other butterflies love to nectar at them in late summer, and the goldfinches seem to thrive on their seeds.

nina at Nature Remains. said...

I've tagged you for the Eight Random Facts meme (unless you'd rather not, that's ok, too) http://natureremains.blogspot.com/2007/07/eight-random-things.html

R.Powers said...

Great backlighting!